Woods, Water & Farm: A Middle School Adventure
Exploring Land Trust Lands and Farms Throughout the Seacoast
Woods, Waters & Farm is a wandering adventure to the natural landscapes in and around our community, led by experienced White Pine Naturalists and Mentors. Each week we will visit 3-4 different locations within a particular region. To learn more detailed information, including a sample flow of the day, read our parent brochure found here.
- Explore and connect to local conservation lands, working farms, shore-land and coastal waterways.
- Practice caretaker principles that foster a lifelong conservation ethic and conduct.
- Learn from and about the wildlife, plants and trees on each preserve.
- Cultivate a sense of place through land exploration, navigation and mapping skills.
- Develop an understanding of important ecosystem relationships.
- Expand awareness of the world around us through nature connection activities.
- Strengthen bonds of friendship and community through group projects and skills.
- Hone leadership skills among participants.
Days will start with gratitude, land and water acknowledgement and recognition of the original stewards. We will explore using challenges and games to teach observation and awareness. Our mentors will teach bushcraft skills, nature-based art, plant identification and lead citizen science and stewardship projects. While modeling a caretaker attitude and demonstrating how we can leave a place better than we found it, leaders will encourage us to practice leadership skills through working together as a team and fostering a sense of community with our peers. At the end of the day, with carved spoons in our hands, cattail fluff in our pockets and laughter in the air, we will return together and share stories from the day. Locations will be chosen to provide experience in varied ecosystems such as forests, estuaries, rivers, marshes and agricultural lands.
Week 1: July 5 – 9 : Burley Farms: 245 North River Rd Epping, NH (SELT)
Week 2: July 12 – 16 : Rocky Hills Preserve, So Berwick, ME (GWRLT)
Week 3: July 19 – 23 : Fuller Forest, Bartlett Rd Kittery, ME (YLT/KLT)
Week 4: July 26 – 30 : Burley Farms: 245 North River Rd Epping, NH (SELT)
Week 5: August 2 – 6 : Rocky Hills Preserve, So Berwick, ME (GWRLT)
Week 6: August 9 – 13 : Fuller Forest, Bartlett Rd Kittery, ME (YLT/KLT)
We intend to use busses to transfer to/from some camp locations during camp weeks. Drop off and pick ups will be at the sane addresses all week